The Eighth Girl
Maxine Mei-Fung Chung is a psychoanalytic psychotherapist, clinical supervisor, and training psychotherapist.
She lectures on trauma, gender and sexuality, clinical dissociation, and attachment theory at the Bowlby Centre and was awarded the Jafar Kareem Bursary for her work supporting people from ethnic minorities experiencing isolation and mental health problems.
Originally trained in the arts, she previously worked as a creative director for ten years at Condé Nast, The Sunday Times, and The Times (London).
Maxine completed the Faber Academy advanced novel-writing course and currently works in private practice, where she has a particular interest in the creative feminine, advocating for women and girls finding a voice. She lives in London with her son. The Eighth Girl is her debut novel.
- No events
- Maxine Mei-Fung Chung: ‘Psychotherapists can only take our patients as far as we’ve gone ourselves’Next year, Pushkin Vertigo will publish Maxine’s debut novel, The Eighth Girl. As both a clinician and a writer, she sat down with her editor Harriet to talk race, misogyny and stigma in the world of psychology and crime writing. [read more]
- CrimeReads: How Pop Culture Got It Wrong With Dissociative Identity DisorderRead an essay by Maxine exploring how representations of DID in films, TV and literature creates stigmatisation of people living with mental illness. [read more]
- The latest interviews, Q&As and podcastsFind out more about Maxine and how she wrote The Eighth Girl in these new Q&As and podcasts. From cashmere socks and afternoon walks to gender politics and the stigmatisation of mental illness, Maxine shares insights into what inspires her research and writing. [read more]
For publicity and media enquiries:
In the UK
- Please contact Poppy Stimpson at Pushkin Press.
- Please contact Eugenie Furniss at 42mp, Palladium House, 7th Floor, 1-4 Argyll Street, London W1F 7TA
+44 (0) 20 7292 0554.
In the US
- Please contact Jessica Lyons at HarperCollins.
- Please contact Ellen Goldsmith-Vein at Gotham Productions, 1041 N Formosa Avenue, Formosa, West Building, Suite 200, West Hollywood, CA 90046.
- Please contact Bill Clegg at The Clegg Agency, 156 Fifth Avenue, Suite 1210, New York, NY 10010.
For other book-related enquiries